The Odda Stone
Found in 1675 near Deerhurst, Gloucestershire, this rectangular limestone stab bears a Latin inscription that dates from AD 1056.
The late Anglo-Saxon, Latin inscription is translated as ‘Earl Odda ordered this royal church to be built and dedicated in honour of the Holy Trinity for the seal of his brother Aelfric which was taken up from this place. And Ealdred was the bishop who dedicated the same on the second of the Ides of April and in the fourteenth year of the reign of Edward, King of the English (12 April 1056)’. This dedication was a permanent record commemorating the patronage of Earl Odda and the memory of his brother Aelfric. A stone church dedicated to the Holy Trinity would have been comparatively rare in 11th century England.
On display in Gallery 41: England